History of the Sand Hill School or Harrison Street School
Present Home of the Wyoming County Historical Society
By Jean Brewer and Paula Radwanski
The Harrison Street School building dates back to its opening in January of 1855. At one time it was called the Sand Hill School. By 1871, it was eventually run down and in need of repairs and extensive renovations were done. In 1883 a major addition was added. The two-story primary was completed in 1893, and finally in 1902 the buildings were joined by the addition of restrooms. Following is a sequence of articles from local newspapers that tells the story of the school which is to become in April 1980, home of the Wyoming County Historical Society.
Wyoming Co. Whig, 10 April 1850:
Free Schools – Tunkhannock Borough
In the Republic of Sparta, the children were considered as the property of the Commonwealth, were trained and educated at the public expense, and furnished with food from the public table, with especial reference to those qualifications which the public interest required them, as citizens, to possess. While this system was in vogue, the Spartans were invincible to any force which their enemies could bring against them. As without some uniform system of education, a portion of the people will necessarily go without instruction, and as in every community in which the will of the people is the supreme law of the land, the public safety depends upon the general dissemination of knowledge, every permanent resident of the United States is more or less interested in sustaining suitable schools for the instruction of youth of every grade in every necessary branch of education. On this principle the laws of Pennsylvania anticipating that many, on account of the apathy or indifference of parents, would be allowed to grow up in ignorance, have wisely provided that suitable instruction shall be imparted to all the children of the Commonwealth, sufficient to enable them to discharge understandingly the important and responsible duties of individuals, citizens and public servants; and to this end have provided that a portion of the funds requisite shall be paid in proportion to the ability of the taxable inhabitants. This system, the basis of our republican institutions, has been in operation in some of the states more than a hundred years and has been found uniformly practicable, popular and beneficial. In Pennsylvania it is now recognized by the laws as the settled policy of the state, and every township is viewed as an accepting district, wherein the beneficent fruits may be dispensed to all – the high, the low, the rich, the poor.
What is proper and expedient in this respect for a nation or State, is also proper for any section thereof; and as every section of the Commonwealth contributes its quota towards the fund appropriated to educational purposes, so it is the interest of all to avail themselves of its advantages and share in it benefits. Viewing the subject in this light the school Directors of the Boro District have agreed to assess two mills on a dollar of the taxable property of the District – to appropriate the funds now on hand, and to claim the share due from the State. The sums thus collected, it is contemplated – provided the people shall sanction an additional tax – to devote to the erection of a substantial edifice sufficiently capacious to accommodate all the scholars in the District. When these arrangements shall have been completed and the services and the services of suitable teachers secured our village will afford means of instruction to all within her borders and offer inducements to others in the vicinity desirous of educating their children, to make this their temporary or permanent residence.
The want of a suitable building here for schools, lectures, & etc. has long been seriously felt; and we doubt not, when the question shall be brought before the people, their decision will be in favor of one which will be an ornament and an honor to the borough.
It is contended by some that we have now and shall continue to have, without any additional outlay on the part of the citizens, means of instruction commensurate with the wants of the people. True, we now have four schools in operation, besides tri-weekly instruction in Grammar and Monochromatic painting and weekly biblical lectures and forensic exercises, but it is understood to the regret of many, that the only school in town designed for the instruction of advanced scholars is soon to terminate for want of a suitable school room. The erection of one such as is contemplated, would obviate the necessity of the similar unfortunate contingency hereafter.
Wyoming Democrat, 22 October 1850:
Why is not something done toward the opening of a district school in our village? We consider it a burning shame that there is now no means of education among us, and doubt whether there is another village in the State of the size of Tunkhannock, so horribly destitute. Neither school-house nor school in the village of Tunkhannock! Think of its parents – and deduce there-from the future, destiny of your children.
Three taverns! Three ale-houses! –all well patronized – streets full of unwashed, uncombed, and untutored children; and not a school-house in the village. Sell your dogs, your guns, your horses, and everything not necessary for your sustenance, and build a school-house, and hire a teacher, rather than send your children out “into the world to disgrace themselves, their parents and the place where they were reared.”
Tunkhannock School Directors Minutes, 18 May 1853:
…For the erection of a school house (in the Borough of Tunkhannock) to conform (with some modifications) to Plate XVII of “Model Architect” by Samuel Sloan Vol. 1…
From “The Model Architect. A Series of Original Designs For Cottages, Villas, Suburban Residences, Etc.” By Samuel Sloan, Architect. Published by E. S. Jones & Co., Philadelphia (1852)
North Branch Democrat, 20 December 1854:
The new School House in this Borough will be opened with appropriate ceremonies on New Year’s day. An oration will be delivered by Robert R. Little, Esq., with other exercises suitable to the occasion. The directors have employed a competent teacher who will commence teaching on Tuesday following. The citizens of this Borough and vicinity, with all their children, are invited to attend. Services to commence at 1 1/2 o’ clock, P.M.
–By order of the Directors.
North Branch Democrat, 10 January 1855:
The New School House – Open Exercises
Pursuant to public notice, a large assembly convened on the 1st inst., in the building erected for the occupancy of the Public Schools of the Borough. The ceremonies of the occasion were introduced by the reading of the Scriptures and prayer by the Rev. C. R. Lane. In the next place, a statement was made by P. M. Osterhout, Esq., a member of the Board of Directors, in regard to the history of Common Schools in Tunkhannock and in particular, the history of the present undertaking, to which the Rev. Mr. Tryon responded.
Upon this followed the Oration of R. R. Little, Esq.
The edifice is of brick, 25 x 42 feet, containing three rooms and sufficient it is believed, for the instruction of the present rising generation, and the next.
North Branch Democrat, 25 January 1860:
That Bell! That Bell!
Having consulted and gained the entire approbation of the Board of Directors, the teachers and scholars of Tunkhannock Public School, deem it very proper to raise money to purchase a bell for the school by the following very usual and agreeable mode.
Having learned numerous pieces and practiced them for several weeks past, they flattered themselves that they are well prepared to entertain an audience for an evening. The selections are all of excellent character, and tending to promote industry and morality. They propose to give an Exhibition on Friday Evening, Jan. 27, 1860.
Single tickets 15 cents. Families of four or more, admitted at the rate of 12 cents each.
It is understood that all money received, shall be applied to the purchase of a bell, and any who have hearts big enough and purses heavy enough to give more than the admission fee, may be assured that all contributed will be strictly applied to that purpose. The situation demands a bell of at least 100 lbs. weight, which will cost nearly or quite $50. If all will take hold who are interested in the matter, there will be no trouble in raising the required amount. The names of all who contributed with the amount, will be read publicly on the night of exhibition.
North Branch Democrat, 22 February 1860:
We are pleased to learn that the Teachers and Scholars of our Public School, have finally succeeded in procuring a Bell. We have not seen it, but from hearsay, we believe it well calculated to answer the purpose intended. Our School has long labored under a disadvantage from not having a Bell, and the efforts made by the Teachers and Scholars in procuring one, are truly praiseworthy.
Wyoming Democrat, 13 September 1871:
The Old Brick School House. As we passed this edifice the other day we were forcibly reminded of olden times. Not that we spent any portion of our boyhood there; but the rusty, antiquated look of the building, with its paneless windows, speak pane-fully of the past and pane-lessly of the present. It does not appear to be much of an ornament in the way of an educational institution, in a Borough of the size of Tunkhannock. We advise our citizens who have children to educate, and all interested in the cause of education, to take a stroll around by this “educational institution,” and view it in all its parts and then tell us if it is a proper place wherein to “teach the young idea how to shoot.” Its dilapidated appearance would hardly inspire a thought in the school-boy, except of degenerated times. The intellect, we should think, would have a tendency to grow stupid, surrounded as our youth are by such a burlesque upon educational facilities. It is useless to talk of religion, temperance and morality, and neglect the education of the young. The foundation-stone of good society lies in a well trained mind. If this is wanting, the moral sensibilities are blunted, deprived appetites have no restraints, and as a consequence those thus circumstanced fall an easy prey to the vices and follies of youth. The importance of a proper education is not half appreciated by the great mass of our people. If it was, there would be a different tone to society and less crime would exist in the land. Let us look at the subject in a practical light. It would be cheaper and better to educated the people than to keep up courts and build prisons, for the purpose of aweing into submission the ignorant and depraved. In point of economy this view of the subject commends itself to the judgment of our people, to say nothing of the good effects upon the morals and happiness of community.
Wyoming Democrat, 27 September 1871:
The subject of the “old school house” has been pretty well ventilated of late. It received a thorough over hauling at the hand of State Superintendent of Common Schools, last Monday evening, in his address at the Court House, on the subject of education. But fearing not enough has yet been said to awaken our people to realizing sense of their condition, as regards to school facilities, we append the following from the Pittston Gazette of last week: “Tunkhannock is a pleasant but not a pretty village. It is prettily situated, however, and some find buildings now in course of erection will add materially to its good looks. It has some fine churches, a marvelously stately Court House, a jail which is really an ornament to the place besides being a substantial prison. There is also the remains of what was once a substantial and commodious school-house, evidencing that the inhabitants did once think that a little learning would not be hurtful to the rising generations. But alas, the windows are all broken, the doors unhinged, the steps broken down and the passage ways, through which the winter storms may beat, and the bleak north winds whistle at will, filled with dirt, dust and rubbish. One stops and wonders at the sight. Here are fine churches and stately public buildings, beautifully shaded homes and flower decked lawns, handsome shops, and offices and stores – improvements going on at every hand, and only one spot, the most important of them all, a sad and ruined wreck. Make your prison walls higher and stronger. Another generation will need them if education bestows no fostering care upon their young lives. Who is to blame, is a needless question. Every man and woman in the place could do something; and local pride, if it were for no other cause, should restore and renovate the dilapidated shell, if nothing better can be done.”
Wyoming Democrat, 1 November 1871:
“The committee appointed to take measures to secure the building of a school house, and for the establishment of a graded school in this Borough are to meet Friday evening, November 3, 1871, at the office of William M. Piatt.”
Wyoming Democrat, 24 January 1872:
Our Common Schools – We are indebted to Prof. Wickersham, State Superintendent of Common Schools, for a copy of his annual report for 1871. We have been looking over it and have gleaned the following facts concerning the schools of this county.
The valuation of school property in this county is estimated at $43,000. Whole number of school houses in the county, 88, of which 87 are frame and one brick; 10 of these were built during the year. Of the whole number, 36 have sufficient grounds, 2 with grounds sufficiently improved, 43 well ventilated, 69 with suitable furniture, 14 with insufficient furniture, 1 with injurious furniture, 2 with suitable furniture during the year, 8 are well supplied with apparatus, 6 wholly without apparatus, 13 supplied with apparatus during the year, 17 with outline maps.
There are 92 schools in Wyoming County, of which 9 are graded, 1 graded during the year, 49 well classified, 44 in which books are uniform, 36 in which the Bible is read. The number of public examinations held in the county, 23; number of Directors present, 10.
The number of male teachers employed in the county is 40, female teachers 111; of this number 33 have taught more than five years and three attended Normal Schools.
The County Superintendent made 97 visits during the year; average time spent in each school, 1:34.
Number of teachers attending County Institute, 21.
The Teachers Institute held in Tunkhannock, November 6, 1870, received from the County Treasury $30.35, of which $18.00 were paid to instructors, and the balance, $12.35 appropriated to other expenses.
Wyoming Democrat, 18 September 1872:
The brick school house in this district is now undergoing a thorough overhauling, and will be put in complete order for the Fall and Winter school. The building has become somewhat dilapidated and the improvements now being made, have long been needed. There will be but two apartments hereafter – the two rooms on the first floor being put into one. Mr. Hurley Steinbeck is the carpenter in charge of the work, and is a first class workman in all respects.
Wyoming Democrat, 5 March 1873:
The public schools of this place will be closed at the end of the current month. The schools will have been opened for 6 1/2 months during the present school year – from the first of June last. It was the intention of the directors to have kept the school open for at least eight months; but the money necessarily spent in repairing the house, has so far exhausted the funds as to make it a matter of necessity to close for the present year.
Wyoming Democrat, 20 August 1873:
The public schools of this Borough will open about the first of September next. Professor S. S. Thomas at the head, assisted in the intermediate department by Miss Mary Meserole, a lady of experience and skill as a teacher from the best schools in NYC. In order to relieve crowded conditions of the school and furnish a safe and roomy place for the little ones, the directors have engaged the rooms and services of Miss A. L. Tuttle for the primary department. With such additional room, competent teachers and increased facilities our school should and doubtless will be among the best, if not the best in the county.
Tunkhannock Republican, 21 July 1882:
J. Willis Hawkins, architect, of Wilkes-Barre, has drawn the plans of the new school building here.
Wyoming Democrat, 9 February 1883:
Work has commenced in the vicinity of the school building looking to the erection of the addition as soon as school closes. A large number of bricks have already been hauled on the grounds, while a number of stones for sills and other purposes have been put there also. Mr. Hiram Courtright is dressing them. The contract for building the addition has been let to Mr. John Hungerford of this place, for a trifle over $8000. School closes the first week in May, after which, work on the new building will begin at once and pushed rapidly forward to completion in order to get the new building ready by the time school opens in September.
Wyoming Democrat, 18 May 1883:
was commenced on the school in earnest. The brick hallway in front with the belfry, is being torn away, the foundation is being laid, stones are being cut and altogether the school grounds present a busy appearance.
Tunkhannock Republican, 31 August 1883:
The letting of the contract for the building of a wall around the grounds of the new school building at the corner of Harrison and Bridge streets, will take place at Piatts’ office, this evening at 7 o’clock. The lowest and best bidder is the man who will secure the job.
Tunkhannock Republican, 28 September 1883:
The new bell to be hung in the belfry of the school building is on the ground, and will soon be put in place. It was made by the well-known McShane Co., and weighs 400 pounds. Being a much larger bell than the old one it will probably do away with the old excuse of tardy students – “Didn’t hear the bell.”
Wyoming Democrat, 5 October 1883:
The work of penciling and staining the brick work on the new school house here is being done by George M. Hibbs, of the firm, Hibbs & Beck, of Wilkes-Barre. This firm makes a specialty of hard wood finishing, and they are now at work on the Scranton Court House and the hotel there opposite the depot. They also decorate the inside of halls and theaters.
New Age, 18 October 1883:
A reporter of the New Age on Monday paid a visit to the new school building, contracted for by the board of school directors consisting of F. C. Bunnell, F. H. Piatt, B. H. Shook, Henry Harding, E. M. Phillips and C. D. Gearhart and being pushed to completion under the direction of the school board as now made up of F. H. Piatt, President; F. DeWitt, Secretary and E. M. Phillips, C. D. Gerhardt, Ziba Billings and F. C. Bunnell. The reporter found the work progressing rapidly, considering its magnitude and was assured that no longer than November 1st would see it fully completed in every detail and ready for occupancy. The building is an addition to the old school building where your reporter with numerous greater lights was first taught how to shoot. The erection of the addition was contemplated for a long time but it required the nerve of the last school board to contract the work and forward, by all legal means the accomplishment in so worthy a project. The contract for doing the work was let to Mr. John Hungerford of this place and he early began preparations for the commencement of the contract. On the 10th day of May, after the term of school had expired, Mr. Hungerford set his men at work and in a very short time had so demolished the old school building as to make it unrecognizable. From that time on the carpenters and the brick, stone and plaster masons have been at work and with what thoroughness of detail a brief visit to the building can along reveal. The building consists of a large basement in which are placed two furnaces, ventilators, cold air shafts, coal bins &c. The first floor proper consists of a large grand hallway, two entrances, three large school rooms, two recitation rooms, rooms for globe, maps and shawls and hat rooms. The second floor is divided into three school rooms, one hat and shawl room and two recitation rooms. Above this comet the roof made of trusses and being of sufficient height and size to admit in the future of additional rooms being placed there. Above the roof is placed a neat cupola or bellfry in which had been placed a new bell, fully in accord with the progressive steps taken in school matters. The building itself is of brick with neat stone trimmings, the cut stone coming from Black Walnut and being dressed here by Mr. Hiram Courtright. The building stone is of good quality and was secured in this neighborhood. The ventilation and heating of the new school rooms have received needed attention and great credit is due Mr. J. Wilson Hawins of W. B., the architect, for his success in these essential particulars tending to the comfort and health of our little folks. The school rooms too, are of good proportion and for the present at least the overcrowding of our schools need not be expected. At this time the finishing touches are being put on by the painters and Supt. Mr. Joseph B. Welch is putting the inside blinds in place. The new seats are being arranged and every step is taken to push the work rapidly. We in conclusion congratulate our school board and our people in the very complete school building now erected.
The new bell on the school building weighs 450 lbs., cost $104.00 and is in the key of D. At first it was determined to raise the money to pay for the bell by private subscription, but one or two of the school directors failed to come down with their five dollars and then it was deemed advisable to buy as a school district, thus making everybody pay equally. The new bell came from McShane and Bros. foundry at Baltimore. The old bell which is in good order, is now deemed too light for use here and will be sold for use of the Springville grade school.
New Age, 25 October 1883:
The new school building is being painted a bright brick color and will be lined off into blocks. The wood cornice and stone trimming of the bulding will show off in good shape after the painting.
New Age, 8 November 1883:
School Board has put aside a room in the new school building to hold meetings in until the room is needed for more scholars.
The bell at the new school has much the same sound as the Court House Bell.
Tunkhannock has the handsomest and most convenient school building in Northeastern Pennsylvania, while its teachers are the most competent and thorough. We feel proud of our noble institution and its corps of instructors.
Republican and New Age, 14 May 1931:
1883 – Tunkhannock Borough, at a cost of $12,000, built a new school building, by far the finest in the county, furnished throughout in the best modern style.
Two-Story Primary Building
Wyoming Democrat, 12 May 1893:
The school directors have decided to build an addition to the academy, which will consist of two stories, each containing a good sized room. The plans will be furnished by Thomas Podmore, architect, of Wilkes-Barre.
Tunkhannock Republican, 9 June 1893:
At a meeting of the school board yesterday, Felix Ansart was elected principal. The other teachers chosen were Adelaide McKown, Jennie L. Thomson, Evalyn Carlin, Mary E. Avery, Lillian Childs and Mary W. Shook.
Wyoming Democrat, 16 June 1893:
The school board organized on Thursday of last week, Messrs. Detrich and Piatt taking their seats in the board and F. H. Piatt was elected Pres’t, W. W. Lewis, Sec’y and F. W. Dewitt, Treas. All of the lady teachers who made application were retained and the salary of all lady teachers was increased from thirty-five to forty dollars per month. Miss Welch did not apply for next year and Miss Eva Carlin was advanced to her room and Miss Lillian Childs was elected to Miss Carlin’s room in the primary department. F. Ansart, Esq., was elected principal for the ensuing year at a salary of one hundred dollars per month. The board then adjourned and met again on Tuesday when F. Ansart, Esq., resigned as school director. The tax for the year was then levied, that for school purposes being eight mills and for building purposes four mills. It is proposed to erect an addition to the school building during the summer to accommodate the increased number of students.
Wyoming Democrat, 30 June 1893:
On Tuesday at a meeting of the school board of the borough district, advertising for building proposals for the new school building were ordered.
Notice. Sealed proposals will be received until Friday, July 7, A. D. 1893, for the construction of a two story brick school building, for the Tunkhannock Borough School District, according to the plans, specifications and contract on file in the office of the Secretary. The bidder will state the time within which he will complete the work. The bids can be sent to B. W. Lewis, Secretary, Tunkhannock, Pa. The board of directors reserve the right to reject any or all bids. Felix Ansart, Chas. Dietrich, B. W. Lewis, Building Committee.
Tunkhannock Republican, 21 July 1893:
The contract for the new addition to the school building has been given to W. G. Colley, of Kingston, and the work has been started.
Wyoming Democrat, 28 July 1893:
The brick for the school building have arrived at the depot and several teams are engaged in unloading them.
Tunkhannock Republican, 28 July 1893:
In excavating for the foundation of the new school building, the workmen were delayed by a cave in on Monday, and were forced to take out several wagon loads of sand extra. The brick are nearly all on the ground, and the work is being rushed.
Wyoming Democrat, 11 August 1893:
Brick and lumber are on the ground for the erection of the new school building here and the work is being pushed forward as rapidly as possible.
Wyoming Democrat, 18 August 1893:
School boards throughout the county will be supplied with tablets and other school supplies at manufacturer’s prices at “The Bazaar,”, Tunkhannock, Pa.
The public schools open for a nine months’ term on the 28th or two weeks from Monday. It is hoped by the officers of the school board and the teachers that as many of the pupils as can shall be in their places on the first day of the term. The first days of the term are usually devoted to the classifying and examination of the pupils and if all go on the first day this work will be the sooner gotten through with. Let every pupil be at his post on the first day of school.
Wyoming Democrat, 25 August 1893:
Our schools will open Monday, September 4th instead of August 28, the delay caused by the accumulated rubbish around the school building from the new building now going up.
Wyoming Democrat, 1 September 1893:
The foundation walls for the new school building are now ready for the superstructure.
Now that the school districts have to furnish the school books, some of the school boards in the State are buying up the old school books used at the last term and paying forty per cent for them. The item for school books is quite large. In Bloomsburg it is estimated that it will require $2500 to purchase new books, exclusive of other supplies.
Wyoming Democrat, 15 September 1893:
There are sixty seats in the high school department of our public school building and fifty-seven scholars are seated therein. The number of vacant seats is usually larger at the closing months of the school year. Mr. Ansart has the high and graded schools well in hand and is making a popular as well as efficient principal, the work being done there will count in the future career of the pupils for good.
Wyoming Democrat, 6 October 1893:
Work on the addition to the school building is progressing as rapidly as possible, the walls have been completed and the roof also, leaving the inside work still to be done. The workmen are pushing that, and in a short time the building will be ready for occupancy. We will then have one of the best appointed, commodious as well as handsomest school buildings in this section of the State.
Wyoming Democrat, 13 October 1893:
Bids for heating the new school building of the Tunkhannock Borough School District will be received until October 16. The bids will be for heating by warm air furnace, by hot water or steam or by a combination.
Wyoming Democrat, 20 October 1893:
All teachers in our public schools here are required to report to the Board of Health all contagious diseases which may occur among their scholars, and before they can re-enter school they must present a certificate of recovery from the Board of Health.
Wyoming Democrat, 9 November 1893:
Two hundred and twenty-five scholars enrolled at the school this week and teachers have been engaged in examining and classifying them among the several departments. This is the largest number that was ever enrolled here before.
Wyoming Democrat, 8 December 1893:
The new school building is nearly completed and will soon be ready for occupancy. This will be good news to the children who are now overcrowded in the old building.
Wyoming Democrat, 15 December 1893:
The Borough schools close to-day for a vacation of two weeks in order to give the teachers an opportunity to attend the Institute next week and to enjoy the holidays of the week following. All the schools in the county are expected to be closed next week.
Wyoming Democrat, 22 December 1893:
The new school building will be ready for occupancy after the holidays.
Wyoming Democrat, 12 Jan. 1894:
The graded school opened again on Tuesday of last week after two weeks vacation.
Wyoming Democrat, 31 August 1894:
The Tunkhannock public schools will open Monday, Sept. 3rd, 1894. Tuition fee for pupils outside of the district will be $12.00 for the term of nine months and one dollar for the use of books, to be paid in two payments, one-half before Oct. 1, 1894, and the balance before February 1, 1895.
Wyoming Democrat, 3 January 1902:
The borough school which have been closed for the past several weeks, will reopen on Monday, Jan. 6, 1902. The interior of the buildings with their contents are being thoroughly fumigated by the Board of Health.
Wyoming Democrat, 7 March 1902:
Some iron fire escapes will be placed on the school house building by Mr. Wilde, of Wyoming. This is something that has been needed there for some time.
Republican and New Age, 31 August 1905:
The borough schools will open on Monday next. The improvements that have been made during vacation puts the town in the front rank respecting school property. The lavatories and closets that have been put in are finished according to the most modern ideas of sanitary work, brick concrete and slate entering very largely into the construction. The plans for the whole job were concocted by B. H. Shook, who did the plumbing, but the specifications were worked out by a Wilkes-Barre artist. The yard fronting the building is being covered with crushed stone this week, and when finished will make a neat, tidy property.
Republican and New Age, 20 February 1919:
School Canteen – Hot Lunch System Introduced in the Borough Schools
The innovation of serving hot lunches during the noon hour to the pupils has been started in the schools here. The primary motive of this movement is to furnish something warm to the pupils who live so far from the school that they are not able to eat a warm meal at noon and are obliged to carry cold lunches. However, any of the town people who wish to remain for lunch may do so by “signing up” in the morning.
Monday last was the first day on which the system was tried. The menu consisted of meat loaf with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, beet relish, bread and butter, milk or cocoa and cherry pudding. This nourishing and tasteful lunch was served for eighteen cents.
A neat room has been prepared in the basement of the school building, where the lunches are prepared and served. Mrs. Freda Broadbent is doing the cooking for this month. The movement for the time is being backed by the Parent-Teachers’ Association, but after once getting started it is hoped that it will be self-sustaining.
This building was completely abandoned as the Roslund Elementary School was put into use January, 1971.
The Board of Education conveyed the building to the Wyoming County Historical Society in 1980 to be used as a museum and genealogical library.
Copyright © Jean Brewer and Paula Radwanski